Saturday, July 26, 2008

Problems with Plastic?

As my intention with this blog is not only to communicate with you empowering fitness tips, movements and current research, but to also add sprinkles of green living so we can all live and breathe easier in a clean environment (internal and external).

I would like to share with you my problem with plastic and my journey with it do date! No, I am not talking about credit cards. I am talking about all the other plastic we encounter on a daily basis. Water bottles, food containers, storage containers and health and beauty products just to name a few. My issue began last Christmas when I decided that it was time for my partner and I to begin using glass containers for food storage (everything from pasta to dried cranberries) and for food preparation and the storing of afterwards for leftovers, reheating, etc. I try to live a conscious life, with emphasis on protecting the environment whenever possible. I had enough of plastic, had read enough articles on the negative affects it had on the environment and some of the possible links to cancers and other diseases. However, what was I now to do with all these plastic containers I had encountered over the years? I couldn't just throw them out, wouldn't that be creating more waste and wouldn't they either sit in a landfill for many years or travel a far distance and endure intense procedures and energy to recycle any products? But what is a girl to do? Of course I wanted the new glass storage containers, and wanted enough to replace all the plastic I had. So I recycled most of the plastic storage containers that we had, came up with creative storage containers for paper products and office supplies, donated some, and then kept a few in case of emergency. I know, what kind of emergency will you have that you just HAVE to have a container to put something in, even if it may contain harmful chemicals that could strain my respiratory system, or taint our blood. My partner, who has graced a more environmentally conscious life with open arms (thanks baby!) insisted that he would not take glass containers to work and that he would probably just break them during the transport from home to work, etc. So, I kept a few, for those few days he packs a lunch.

Maybe its time to go through some of your plastics and see what you have hiding under your cupboards. Take a look at the number on the bottom of any containers you may have, including those that are in the fridge or grocery store and see how it corresponds to the info below:

On the bottom of your plastic product there will be a triangle with a number. Correspond the number on the plastic to the number below.

1. PET or PETE (polyethylene terephthlalate), safe and recyclable
2. HDPE (high density polyethylene), safe and recyclable
3. Vinyl or PVS (polyvinyl chloride), not safe, not recyclable
4. LDPE (low density polyethylene), safe, recycling available in some places. See if your local grocery store has a plastic bag recycle program.
5. PP (polypropylene), safe and recyclable in some areas.
6. PS (polystyrene), not safe, recycling available in some areas.
7. PC- safety unknown, not recyclable
PLA (polyactide), safe, not recyclable but can be composted.

If you haven't made the switch from plastic to a more environmentally friendly product I challenge you to start now! Why not pick up a sturdy, durable and fun looking stainless steel water bottle. Sigg is a very popular company making these eco-friendly and reusable bottles, but many others are popping up. You have probably seen some in your neighborhood as more people begin to make the switch.

Be environmentally friendly....Go Green!

~A

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home